Sunday, July 7, 2013

[MUSIC ALBUM REVIEW] A Pink - Secret Garden (2013)


Helloooooo, guuyssss!!!!

Since I am already on my holiday period, which is about three months, I guess that I will write on this blog a lot because I have more free time (but still, I have many works to do). So, yeah, hope that I will not ended up betray my promise hehehehe and please anticipate a lot from this blog :)

On today's post, I will write about A Pink new album titled Secret Garden (no...there is no Hyun Bin switched into girl's body in it) that being released on July 5th, 2013. For those of you who did not know, A Pink is a girl group from A-Cube Entertainment, the subsidiary of Cube Entertainment, that was formed in 2011. This group consisted of seven member, including leader Chorong, Bomi, Eunji, Naeun, Yookyung, Namjoo, and maknae Hayoung. Unfortunately, member Yookyung announced on April 2013 that she will leave this group and it has been said that A-Cube was going to find her replacement in order to be able to join the next comeback. It turned out that A-Cube plan has not being realized because for this comeback, A Pink is still appear as six without new member to replace Yookyung. 

Because of that, A Pink latest comeback grew curiosity from many people about how will A Pink able to survive without Yookyung. Beside that, Naeun appearance as "SHINee Taemin's wife" for variety show, MBC We Got Married, and Eunji acting on one of this year hit drama, SBS That Winter, The Wind Blows also helped to boost people anticipation for this comeback. 

So now, I present to you my review for A Pink newest album, Secret Garden..........................



The first track, U You, opened with a lovely slowly piano intro until it goes faster, faster, and boom....the girls voice come straightly singing the refrain part of this. I like this opening because truthfully, it pumps my spirit and makes me eager to hear the rest of the song along with the album itself. That is why I think it also makes U You becomes very suitable to be the opening song. Another thing that would make this song becomes a good opening song is how it represents the whole album sounds and themes. It's fun, youthful, cheerful, and catchy (especially the refrain part). Oh and do you guys smiling at yourself constantly or maybe dancing along with this song? Because I actually do and it's a good thing for a song ;)


The second track and the title track of this album, No No No, is a type of song that will grows on you. To be honest, I am not really feeling this song when the first time I heard this. I like the verses (Bomi and Eunji's bridge were the best part of the song), but the refrain part was below my expectation. Oh and those beat from 0:27 - 0:37........what the hell was that????

That was happened before I keep listening to this song. Because now, I become to really like the song. The refrain part turned out to be catchy and as much as I hate to admit it, I kinda like those 0:27 - 0:37 beat. It's really addictive!!!!

No No No maybe not the best A Pink song to date (My My is still the best although I Don't Know remains as my favorite). But what I like about this song is that it gives fair amount between cute/innocent and sexy/mature vibes through the music, the whole concept, the lyrics (I like this kind of motivational lyrics, it is not similar with other girl group's lyrics that go with almost the same concept) and the choreography. This is what Hush should sound last year. Instead of going into extreme way to mature concept with Hush, I think they should approach it slowly like this song. Moreover, I also love how A Pink once again brings back the old school K-Pop vibe through this song (They successfully did that with My My in 2011).

The music video itself is visually appealing. Loving the whole pastel colors theme on the music video. The girls look really pretty, though I still miss chubby Chorong, and the costumes are great and matched with them. One last thing would be how I love A Pink still behave around their age, meaning that they combine the exact dose of innocent, cuteness, and matureness.


Move on to the third track, Lovely Day, which goes for a slower tempo than the previous two songs. This is my favorite track from the whole album. It's sweet and pleasant listening. I love the pure sound of this song eventhough the lyrics itself is actually not so pure :p. Then, I really really love Eunji's voice at the refrain part during the end of this song. It sounds soooo eargasmic.

With Lovely Day, A Pink continues to bring back the old school vibe, even the way Chorong rap is soooo 90s hahahahahaha. Anyway, about the rapping part itself, this was a pleasant surprise for me because I did not expect it to match with the song. I also surprised by how Chorong is capable to hand the rapping part without sounds awkward. In fact, it sounds nice. Definitely way better than her rap in I Don't Know.


The album tempo rises again with the fourth track, 난 니가 필요해  (I Need You). This song still continues the youthful and sweet vibes from the previous tracks. Really love the lyrics which is about no matter how we try to be strong, we still need people to comfort us when we are down. Eunji definitely shines the most in this song at the refrain part. Oh God...those high notes at the end were soooo beautiful!!! 

Beside Eunji, Bomi sounds nice too. How I wish she does not have to force herself too much when she sings. Because without that, she already sounds good.


The fifth track, Secret Garden, is the only ballad song from this album. Sorry to say, but this is the weakest track from this album. Secret Garden unfortunately falls into the same standard type of ballads. This ballad lacks of something that makes it stands out. In fact, once again, sorry to say, it sometimes makes me sleepy.

But, but, but, Secret Garden has done the great job to show the girls vocal range. This song started out with a low key with Bomi on the first verse and Chorong on the second verse. I love how they started the song and for me, it is kind of refreshing because they usually sing in a high pitched voice. Plus their low voice sounds nice too. As for the refrain part, they go with a high key. This is another surprise for me because I did not know they can go that high (well, beside Eunji obviously). Then, there is still the last surprise for us which is the ending of this song. I love how they ended it with another low key (though some of them still singing in high key). It's shocking, but pleasant listening.


Up until now, Secret Garden is the best album by A Pink. Loving the whole concept of this album. It's youthful, pure, sweet, smooth without sounding too cute. I also love how they stick to the same theme in the whole album though it can potentially makes people become bored. And I might get a lot of hate by saying this, but seriously, listening to this album reminds me so much with listening to Girls' Generation first Korean album. It kinda gives the same youthful, sweet, and innocent vibe along with its old school vibes. 

For the vocals, five of them really really really need to practice more because truthfully, sometimes it can be clearly seen that there is a huge gap between Eunji's voice and other members. All of them actually has potential, they only need to practice more. Bomi should stop forcing herself too much while singing and Namjoo should control her voice to be more stabile.

At last, is promoting only with six member creates a huge hole in A Pink? Well, actually no. All of the members are capable in covering her. In fact, sorry to say, I sometimes forget that A Pink used to be seven member group. Once again I might get a lot of hate by saying this, but as much as I hate to say this, losing Yookyung does not affect anything to A Pink. For the future, I really hope they only stayed as six, they do not need to add one more member. Because with six member, it's already enough. Way to go, A Pink!!!!!



My Favorite Tracks                       : Everything (minus Secret Garden)
Best to be Listen at                          : At bedroom when you are thinking about your crush, when you are playing around with your friends, when you are on your holiday with your friends.
Rating                                                  : 4.5/5 

0 comments:

Post a Comment